3.31.2013

My experience with microdermabrasion

As an up and coming beauty therapist I had the chance to experience a course of microdermabrasion treatments whilst working at my previous workplace, and because i feel i have really bad skin on my forehead I was more then happy to try it out to see if it would have any major effects on smoothing my skin out.

                                              
First i will tell you a few things about Microdermabrasion

What is microdermabrasion?
It is a cosmetic treatment which aims to remove the topmost layer of the skin which is called the stratum corneum, to create a rejuvenating effect and treat skin problems such as acne scarring, mild discoloration, sun damage and wrinkles.

How does microdermabrasion work? 
It is a painless, non-surgical procedure meant to get rid of the dead outer covering of the skin by applying a fine abrasive head and vacuum suction to the skin. The process requires no needles, just a simple machine composed of a vacuum suction, a connecting tube, a pump and a hand piece which has either a diamond, crystal or bristle tip.

What are the effects of microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion can be helpful in the treatment of skin problems ranging from acne scars to sun damage and even more severe problems such as hyperpigmentation. It is a thorough exfoliation, so the skin is soft and smooth after the treatment. 

Procedure of microdermabrasion:
Microdermabrasion is a simple and non-invasive cosmetic treatment which takes from two to 60 minutes to perform. It can be performed by a dermatologist or Beauty therapist with a machine designed specifically for the procedure. The machine is built with crystals such as sodium chloride, aluminum oxide, magnesium oxide and diamonds which are pressurized by the pump to produce an abrasion of the skin. The vacuum raises a small section of the skin which the machine works on and thereafter removes the crystals and abraded skin cells. Therefore, the speed of the machine over the skin and the number of passes made determines the effectiveness of the treatment. The skin is stretched to achieve tension in the area in order to get the best abrasion.  For best results it is recommend treatment regimens ranging from six to twelve sessions.
 
How much does it cost?
It can range from $80 to $200 per session depending on the place you go to and weather it is performed by a dermatologist or a beauty therapist. There are always deals and offers on websites such as scoopon and living social, but I do suggest researching the companies before receiving the treatments.

What are the side effects?
After the treatment is performed you may have visible redness all over your skin. It should not be bright red, or painful. If the person who performs the treatment does it wrong, you may encounter some bruising in areas where the skin wasn't stretched enough. If bruising does occur, please contact the company who performed the treatment and let them know.


Some of the different heads used during microdermabrasion

My experience:

I was a little nervous before my first treatment as I am a sook when it comes to pain. Although everyone told me it was painless I didn't know what to expect. There was no pain at all, except for when my therapist moved over my clavicle bones- then it was slightly uncomfortable. The feeling I can only describe as a slight scratching, not ticklish or uncomfortable, and very bearable when you think of all the amazing benefits you receive from this treatment.
After my first treatment my skin was pink all over, mainly because it was my first treatment, and I have quite sensitive skin. It is suggested to not apply any cosmetics after the treatments for 8-12 hours to receive the best results. I always re-applied my makeup afterwards and I feel as if it still worked the same for me. My skin felt quite fragile and stingy the next day- another after affect for sensitive skins. It wasn't painful as such, just sensitive to touch. 
I completed 7 treatments, receiving one treatment per week and I am happy with the results of my skin. I felt my skin was a lot smoother, and I received fewer breakouts. My acne scaring cleared up quite a bit, and I could tell it was slowly working on my skin.
I will definitely be receiving more microdermabrasion treatments as I feel it does wonders to the acne scaring on my forehead, and the small pink pigmentation dots on my chin. I would recommend this treatment to everyone looking for a way to help with acne scaring, scaring and pimples, and also someone who just wants to look after their skin. I think it is suitable for all skin types, just be careful with sensitive skin, and be sure to let your practitioner know of this. 


 
** all photos in this post are not my own, and can be found using Google search

No comments:

Post a Comment